turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 1 wages and box 16 wages do not match on w2 state return rejected, if that is correct how do I answer part 3 pa-40x

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PhyllisG

Box 1 wages and box 16 wages do not match on w2 state return rejected, if that is correct how do I answer part 3 pa-40x

There are several reasons box 1 and box 16 do not match (e.g. pre-tax transportation benefits or wages from two states.) It is best to contact your employer to determine the reason the amounts differ.

After doing so, a simple reason can be entered in Part 111 of the PA-40X. You can enter the  explanation your employer may provide you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PhyllisG

There are several reasons box 1 and box 16 do not match (e.g. pre-tax transportation benefits or wages from two states.) It is best to contact your employer to determine the reason the amounts differ.

After doing so, a simple reason can be entered in Part 111 of the PA-40X. You can enter the  explanation your employer may provide you.

If you participate in a 401k retirement plan and are reporting PA income, box 1 and box 16 will never match.  Federal allows your 401k contributions (box 12, code "D")to be deducted from your gross wages.  PA does not.

That box 1 amt would be lower only if it is a Traditional 401K, right, not for a Roth 401K, right?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Correct.  You receive a deduction on your income tax return because this contribution is not included in your wages in box 1 of your Form W-2. You pay income tax on the amount shown in box 1 on your Form W-2. Since the contribution to the 401(k) is not included in the box 1 amount, you do not pay tax on it.  @gmott18 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies