turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cletizia

I filed my dependent daughter's taxes first. I didn't check the box for "I can be claimed as a dependent". She already received her return. ine got rejected

Mine was rejected due to two different returns with the same SSN (Hers).  How do I file mine electronically?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I filed my dependent daughter's taxes first. I didn't check the box for "I can be claimed as a dependent". She already received her return. ine got rejected

Bottom line is, you will not be filing your return electronically this year, unless you remove your daughter as a dependent from your return. Once the IRS computers have an SSN marked as claimed for the tax year, that's it. That SSN can not be claimed on any other e-filed tax return for that same tax year. No matter what you do.

Your daughter will need to file an amended tax return removing her self-exemption. THis means she will be paying some of her refund back to the IRS. Per IRS rules an amended return can not be e-filed. She will have to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X) and mail it to the IRS. Amended returns take 8-16 weeks to process.

For you, if you will be claiming your daughter as a dependent on your tax return, you have no choice but to print, sign and mail your return too. It just flat out will not be possible for you to e-file this year.

Make sure you mail the daughter's amended return and your return in separate envelopes too. Otherwise, it's a sure bet that one of them will not be processed if you include them both in the same envelope.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies