turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Before the Oregon Kicker Credit on Turbo Tax, my refund showed up as $333. With the $855 Credit, shouldn't my state refund be $1188?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Before the Oregon Kicker Credit on Turbo Tax, my refund showed up as $333. With the $855 Credit, shouldn't my state refund be $1188?

Since the kicker is a refundable credit, it would stand to reason that your refund would be the sum of the old refund and the kicker.

However, I see in the OR-40 Instructions about 3 1/2 pages dedicated to a detailed discussion of how the kicker is determined and used, starting on page 17.

Since we in the Community cannot see your return nor the screen you are on, it is difficult for us to know what is unique in your situation.

If you see something in the instructions that raises a question, please come back and let us know.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My page is asking me to input the amount on forms OR-40.  I don't see why TUrbo Tax doesn't have a walk through to fill that in?  I went to oregon's IR site and was able to find out my kicker amount, but there is only a way to enter your tax liability which I don't know how to get.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Two thoughts:

1. If you did your 2018 Oregon return with TurboTax, TurboTax actually carries the 2018 numbers to 2019 automatically. The only problem is that TurboTax doesn;t tell you that so when people see the screens in the interview about the kicker and their refund doesn't change, they assume that TurboTax doesn't work, when in fact it calculated the kicker correctly and added it to your return without telling you.

2. "I don't see why TUrbo Tax doesn't have a walk through to fill that in? " The screens you are seeing asking for the 2018 numbers IS the walk through. TurboTax assumes you kept a copy of your 2018 return (which is a very sensible idea for every taxpayer) and tells you where to get the numbers off the 2018 return.

But, of course, if you did your return in 2018 with TurboTax and skip the kicker screens and print your return, you will probably see the kicker appear in line 34 of OR-40.

Thanks!  It was a pain but this is what I did since by skipping entering a number didn't help me.

First, go to the or IR site.  Click "Where is my kicker"  then when you input a few pieces of data it tells you what your kicker is.  You divide that number by 17.1% and that is your tax liability.  INput that number into your tax liability and if you calculated correctly, it will say your kicker is the amount the oregon ir site originally gave you.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

That sounds a bit like "A black cat is a cat that's black".

You should not have to do that, but if it works for you, I am content.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies