irishhawk33

Been separated for 2 years. since getting married I have always done married filing separately. trying to register for the stimulus im told to change it to jointly. Why?

Anonymous
Not applicable

can't file joint without reporting spouse's income and spouse giving consent.    the only real reason is that a joint  return usually results in lower taxes than 2 married filing separate returns.   do you pay more than 1/2 the cost of maintaining a home for you and a qualifying child for more than 6 months of the year? then you could file as head of household.  is your spouse in a similar situation, then she can file as head of household.  

married filing separate each will get a stimulus check provide their adjusted gross income isn't too high. 

phaseout starts at $75,000 for MFS,  for joint return phaseout starts at $150,000 

Anonymous
Not applicable

toms3

This didn't answer her question.

When you are proceeding through the Stimulus Registration Portal, it simply does not allow you to proceed when filing as Married Filing Separately.  It's a choice, then you choose it.....then it tells you to go back and wants you to change it to MFJ.  No explanation is given. 

If you call Turbo Tax, they tell you just to file it as "single", even if your spouse filed as MFS. 

It's confusing.  Furthermore, when you get to the final page.....it displays a PDF file of the 1040 being sent to the IRS and your state.  On that 1040, your filing status shows as "single" or "MFJ".....when your spouse has already filed as MFS.  

This portal doesn't make a lot of sense for folks who would be filing or registering as MFS.  And so far, nobody can provide a clear or detailed answer on this.

DaveF1006

You would file as single in the portal. The reason why you choose the single option for your filing status instead of the married filing separate is simply to calculate your stimulus check amount. The IRS only has two categories of payment amounts for the stimulus check. The amount of stimulus payment for a single  (married filing separate) person is up to $1,200 and the amount for a married filing joint couple is $2,400. When you register for the stimulus check you are not filing a tax return and it is not being recorded as an official tax return. Just make sure that you selected register at the beginning of the process.

toms3

@DaveF1006 

thanks. So to be clear. Even though there is a pdf here showing a 1040 being sent to the IRS and the state of Michigan, those 1040’s are not being treated as normal returns?  Everything else you are saying makes sense to me....the existence of a 1040 in this stimulus registration portal is what is throwing me off. I really appreciate your assistance. Thx again. 

ReginaM

That is correct.  All you are doing is giving the IRS your information so that you can receive your Stimulus Payment, you are not filing a tax return.  

Mypupbarks

I’m in the same boat. I am not required to file a tax return. When I try to complete the stimulus only return, it won’t let me file as married filing separately and rejects me if I put singlets TurboTax has been directing us to do.  

irishhawk33

I ended up using H&R. It seemed a lot clearer to understand and easier to use

Mypupbarks

Did if let you submit as married filing separately?

irishhawk33

If you don't have to file taxes. Just go to irs.gov. there you can register for your stimulus payment and set up your direct deposit info