turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim someone on my taxes who is 19 and works part-time but I have supported this person the whole year that is not my biological child?

This child was 18 for eight months of the year and lived with me for the whole year I am head of household

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim someone on my taxes who is 19 and works part-time but I have supported this person the whole year that is not my biological child?

Because you are not related to this person, they only qualify as a dependent if:

(1) They lived with you for all of 2017.

(2) They earned less than $4050.

(3) You provided more than half their support.

The person's age and student status are not relevant in this situation because you are not related to them.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If that person has more than $4,050 of reportable income in 2017, and they were not a full time student for at least one semester that started in the tax year, then no you can not claim them as a dependent on your tax return.

thank you for the answers but yes I provided more than half of his support and yes he
 lived with me for all of 2017 but he did make more than 4050?

can I claim him on my taxes
Carl
Level 15

If he was not a student in 2017 and has more than $4,050 of earned income, you can't claim them on your tax return.

You can't claim if him if made more than $4,050 in 2017; whether or not he is a student is not relevant because you are not related to him.

Because you are not related to this person, they only qualify as a dependent if:

(1) They lived with you for all of 2017.

(2) They earned less than $4050.

(3) You provided more than half their support.

The person's age and student status are not relevant in this situation because you are not related to them.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies