Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am not finding where to add my new energy efiiciant HVAC. I sed 5695 in the search tool and added $8100 but I only get $50 credit instead of $500

I am thinking I am making some mistake adding my energy efficient HVCA. Please help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

I am not finding where to add my new energy efiiciant HVAC. I sed 5695 in the search tool and added $8100 but I only get $50 credit instead of $500

Be sure to enter the cost of the qualifying HVAC as an Energy-Efficient Building Property. (Click the screenshot below for reference.) You can get a credit of up to 100% of the cost of your energy-efficient building property, with a dollar limit of $300. There are a few reasons why you may not be receiving the full $300:

• This is a nonrefundable credit, so it can't be greater than your tax liability. (If you only owe the IRS $50, the credit is limited to $50.)
  • You may have claimed a credit in a previous year. (While the credit for energy-efficient building property is limited to $300, other energy-efficient items (doors, windows, insulation, etc.) may increase the total Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit to $500. However, there is a total combined lifetime limit of $500, so if you have claimed the credit in the past your 2016 deduction will be reduced.) 
  • You have incorrectly entered the HVAC in the field for "Advanced Main Air Circulating Fan", which has a credit limit of $50.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies