turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

helenmp99

We got married in 2017 and we are both selling our prior residences in 2018. Does it matter if we file jointly or separately to both get the 250k cap gains deduction?

I got married in mid-2017 and both my husband and I owned houses that we are getting ready to sell. We will probably both sell them in 2018. We each lived in our individual houses all of the last 5 years (except for 1year), so individually we meet the ownership and residency requirement. I've read that we can each claim up to 250k capital gains deduction when we sell. Do we need to file separately to do so, or are we able to claim both houses on a joint return? If we have to file separately, would there be any issue with filing jointly for our 2017 taxes and then filing separately on our 2018 taxes? Can we switch filing strategies? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

We got married in 2017 and we are both selling our prior residences in 2018. Does it matter if we file jointly or separately to both get the 250k cap gains deduction?

You may both claim, up to $250,000 exclusion on a Married Filing Jointly (MFJ). There is no need to file separately. Your situation is common enough that is covered by the rules.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You may both claim, up to $250,000 exclusion on a Married Filing Jointly (MFJ). There is no need to file separately. Your situation is common enough that is covered by the rules.

helenmp99

Thank you for the quick response!

Be aware that the proposed tax law changes the residency requirement to five of the last eight years, presumably starting for residences sold in2018.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies