turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tamar2016

At the end I'm a head of household but should I file as married/unmarried or single if I'm married but unofficially separated? I have two children dependent!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

At the end I'm a head of household but should I file as married/unmarried or single if I'm married but unofficially separated? I have two children dependent!

Generally, Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) will get a family the most tax benefit but if your spouse does not want to file together then you have other options.

Head of Household (HOH) is usually more beneficial for the taxpayer than Married Filing Separately(MFS) because you lose several key tax breaks with MFS.

If you and your spouse lived apart for half of the year and you paid for your own household, then you can do HOH.

You cannot file Single if you were married on 12/31/17.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JulieH1

Generally, Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) will get a family the most tax benefit but if your spouse does not want to file together then you have other options.

Head of Household (HOH) is usually more beneficial for the taxpayer than Married Filing Separately(MFS) because you lose several key tax breaks with MFS.

If you and your spouse lived apart for half of the year and you paid for your own household, then you can do HOH.

You cannot file Single if you were married on 12/31/17.

Hal_Al
Level 15

If you and your spouse lived apart for THE LAST half of the year, then you can do HOH.
JulieH1

Yes.  Hal_Al thanks for clarifying that
tamar2016

what if I'm considered as unmarried!
Hal_Al
Level 15

The term "considered unmarried", for purposes of HOH,  means you are married but lived apart from your spouse for the last half of the year. It's not how you feel about your situation.
tamar2016

We've been living separately for almost 5 years, so we are actually seperated but unofficially!
tamar2016

I know that I can file as HOH but my question is to put MFS (in this case I'll lose my children's credit) or single?
Hal_Al
Level 15

You want to file as HoH. You lose nothing, and gain over MFS. You're not allowed to use Single. You are not considered unmarried for purposes of filing Single.  You are  considered unmarried for  the purpose of filing HoH. Silly as that sounds, that's the rules.

You can still file as MFJ; the two of you would just have to agree to do so.
tamar2016

Thanks for the clarification! But I didn't find HOH as a choice if I put married?
Hal_Al
Level 15

TT will assign MFS after you tell it that you wont file with your spouse. You then click edit on filing status and it will take you thru the interview for HoH
tamar2016

Got it! Great, thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies