turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I received unemployment benefits in '17 but had to pay it back (finished paying off in 01/18) would I answer yes to: I paid back any of my '17 unemployment benefits?

If I received unemployment benefits in 2017 but had to pay it all back (started paying off in 2017 and finished paying off in 2018) would I answer yes or no to: "Did you pay back any of your 2017 unemployment benefits?"

And if so, how would I report the amount of repaid 2017 benefits?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

If I received unemployment benefits in '17 but had to pay it back (finished paying off in 01/18) would I answer yes to: I paid back any of my '17 unemployment benefits?

As you enter your unemployment compensation, you will be asked if you repaid any of your benefits.

Here are the steps to enter:

• Sign into your account and click Take me to my return
  • In the Search box (upper right of program) search "unemployment compensation" and click the "Jump to" link
  • If you have already entered the unemployment compensation, select Edit next to your entry
  • If you have not entered the compensation, enter that first and as you work through the interview you will see this question: "Did you pay back any of your 2017 unemployment benefits?" Answer Yes

Click on screenshot below for detail 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatriciaR

As you enter your unemployment compensation, you will be asked if you repaid any of your benefits.

Here are the steps to enter:

• Sign into your account and click Take me to my return
  • In the Search box (upper right of program) search "unemployment compensation" and click the "Jump to" link
  • If you have already entered the unemployment compensation, select Edit next to your entry
  • If you have not entered the compensation, enter that first and as you work through the interview you will see this question: "Did you pay back any of your 2017 unemployment benefits?" Answer Yes

Click on screenshot below for detail 

Does it not matter that the overpayment was finished being paid off in 2018?
PatriciaR

You will enter just the amount you repaid in 2017.  The amount you repaid in 2018 can be deducted on Schedule A Line 23 if less than $3,000.  You can find Schedule A by doing a search in the upper right of page.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies