turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scott15

I came across a company named TheOtherWeb.store that is selling downloaded versions of TurboTax 2017 at very low prices. Are they legitimate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I came across a company named TheOtherWeb.store that is selling downloaded versions of TurboTax 2017 at very low prices. Are they legitimate?

We can report this, I'm not sure what can be done about it. Top google listings are paid for, the question is whether google would remove the ad if intuit complains. I don't know, but we will report it. 

View solution in original post

19 Replies

No.  The server appears to be in a foreign country.  Who know what malware might be in any download.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

These are the only authorized TurboTax re-sellers for a download program that I saw last year -
[removed]

I see theotherweb.store comes up at the top of a Google search for TurboTax 2017.  Intuit should do more to protect their customers from this, assuming it's a scam.  Some people are going to fall for it.  They also offer coupon codes, the price starts at $31.99 and with 30% off it's $22.40.  Another site with the same price is TaxReturnStore.us    It's got to be a scam!

Do you expect TurboTax to police the entire internet?  If it sounds too good to be true.....
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Many of these fake websites are located in China or Eastern block country out of reach of US laws.  Even when the IP address seems to point to a US ISP that is usually just a server redirect to another server somewhere else in the world.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

No, I don't expect them to police the entire Internet.  But when it shows up at the top of a Google search at the very top of the page, you would think there would be better warnings or some type of security measures.  If not with TurboTax, then maybe with Google?  After all we are talking about the security of people's tax returns.  Thank you to Opus 17 for looking in to this!

As mentioned, top google hits are paid for, and google's corporate policy of "don't be evil" seems so old-fashioned these days.  I assume the Intuit security people complain to google but who knows if it helps.

I did just download from this site. Am I for sure going to have issues? If so, what can be done? I do have web root security software and ran it and all looked good??? Thanks

No one knows.  Certainly no one official can vouch for the condition of the software.

Installing software from unknown sources is one way to get ride-along malware.  Who knows what else might be installed.
sueb1

Maybe if TurboTax wasn't trying to rip people off with a $69.99 download for TTDeluxe when you can get it at Office Depot for $39.99 - then people wouldn't be looking elsewhere online to download it.

Stick with reputable third party resellers like Office Depot, Sam's, Walmart, Staples etc and you will be safe ... buy from "too good to be true" sites and you take your chances.

Also Intuit is a for profit public company that have stock holders to report to so they have to cover their costs and show a profit ....  they provide year round program support (even to those who buy the program on the cheap ) as well as the labor cost to produce the program every year and the massive server hardware costs to repair & maintain them. It is not a simple or inexpensive thing to do to rewrite complicated code every year and to provide the infrastructure & personnel so that the entire machine runs smoothly & at a profit.

Retailers like Office Depot can sell for whatever price they want - even a loss to draw customers.  TurboTax does no try to compete with their own distributors.    If everybody sold every product at the same price, we would only need one store, and stores like Costco, Office Depot, etc would cease to exist.   TurboTax made it's profit when  they sold wholesale to the retailers.   Like any other product buy where you find the best deal and convenience.
Manage cookies