turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

padlng74

I have printed my taxes because I was going to mail them, but can I still efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have printed my taxes because I was going to mail them, but can I still efile?

As long as you have not actually mailed or efiled your return, here's how to open it back up to make edits/changes and to change the filing method:

• If TurboTax thinks you are finished, there will be no orange "Take me to my return" (continue return) button.
  • So in that case, scroll down to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a State."  (you don't really add one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can make any changes you need to.
  • Step through the REVIEW tab.
  • When ready to file, go to the FILE tab to change the filing method.

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Were you choosing to mail them originally?  Or was there some form or circumstance in the return that was requiring you to mail it?
padlng74

I need to add my spouses SS# to the return to efile

As long as you have not actually mailed or efiled your return, here's how to open it back up to make edits/changes and to change the filing method:

• If TurboTax thinks you are finished, there will be no orange "Take me to my return" (continue return) button.
  • So in that case, scroll down to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a State."  (you don't really add one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can make any changes you need to.
  • Step through the REVIEW tab.
  • When ready to file, go to the FILE tab to change the filing method.

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies