turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can a minor have a dependent(s)? I am a minor, and I work full time to help support my younger brother& sister. Since I help pay for what they need, can I claim them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Can a minor have a dependent(s)? I am a minor, and I work full time to help support my younger brother& sister. Since I help pay for what they need, can I claim them?

How old are you? Do your parents have income?  Do you qualify as your parents' dependent?

I’m 17, and my mom is unemployed. I believe that I do qualify to be her dependent.

Does Mom get any income, such as govt assistance?

Yes.

Food Stamps and a lil bit of child support is all she gets. Sometimes not even the child support.

Who pays for your housing and utilities?

As an aside, ask your Mom to apply for general govt assistance, including housing, and to compel payment of child support.
MichaelDC

There's no age requirement for you. You can claim a dependent as long as you yourself are not a dependent on someone else’s taxes. If you meet all the requirements below, you can be considered Head of Household and claim the dependents that also qualify.

For tax year 2017 you can qualify for Head of Household if you:

1. Were unmarried as of December 31, 2017 and
  2. Paid more than half the cost to run your (or a qualifying parent's) home in 2017 (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.) and
  3. Supported a qualifying person.

After you answer all the questions about yourself and your dependents at the beginning of your return, we'll let you know if your situation qualifies for Head of Household.

You can also revisit these questions by selecting My Info (online) or Personal Info (software), and then selecting Edit next to your name or your dependent's.

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2017 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
  •       (No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children)
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year.
  • They made less than $4,050 in 2017.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

I'm iffy about Head of Household, since I don't see how a 17 year old can provide more than 50% of the support for a family of four.

We get section 8, but it doesn’t cover everything on rent, what’s left over I pay, and we have pre-paid utilities which I also pay every 2 weeks when I get paid.
Joelbez1

Hey did you ever get your taxes? Just wondering because I am 17 now. And was curious of your situation. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies