hbn33

As an 1099 Employee paid by Wire transfer, can I deduct the wire fees charged by my bank?

All payments from my "employer" are paid by domestic wire transfer into my account. I get charged $15 per transfer. Can I deduct these fees? Where do I enter them on TurboTax? 

MinhT

Yes, you can deduct them in Other Expenses and describe them as Bank fees.

mintskys

I understand that this applies to incoming fees. Would this also apply to the fees that are deducted from the wire when the paying company sends the wire to me. 

NCperson

depends on your 1099 . i.e. who paid for the fees.

Let's say your 1099 says you were paid $1,000.  But what hit your bank account was $940 - because your bank deducted $25 for the incoming wire and your "employer's" bank charged $35 to send out the wire.  In this case, you paid the $60 and can deduct that as a 1099 employee,

But same example, this time the deposit to your bank account was $975 - the sending bank charged 'your employer' the $35 outbound wire fee and not you.  In this case, you could only deduct the $25.