turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work as a 1099 contractor with a company whose address is in MN. They have me working in ND. I live in OH. Who so i file income tax with?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I work as a 1099 contractor with a company whose address is in MN. They have me working in ND. I live in OH. Who so i file income tax with?

As a contractor, you pay taxes to any state where you were physically present while working. You also need to pay taxes to your resident state.

If your company was in MN but you only worked in ND, then you will file a ND tax return. As a resident of OH, you will also file an Ohio return. Ohio will give you a credit for any taxes you pay to ND.

Because you were not working in MN, you will not need to file a MN tax return.

Note that as an Ohio resident, if your work in ND was temporary (lasting less than a year), then you can deduct your expenses for travel to the job, including vehicle expenses for all your travel in ND, as well as lodging and meals, unless those expenses were reimbursed.

If you were required to sign a new contract every 6 months or so, then you could still count your work in ND as temporary.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

As a contractor, you pay taxes to any state where you were physically present while working. You also need to pay taxes to your resident state.

If your company was in MN but you only worked in ND, then you will file a ND tax return. As a resident of OH, you will also file an Ohio return. Ohio will give you a credit for any taxes you pay to ND.

Because you were not working in MN, you will not need to file a MN tax return.

Note that as an Ohio resident, if your work in ND was temporary (lasting less than a year), then you can deduct your expenses for travel to the job, including vehicle expenses for all your travel in ND, as well as lodging and meals, unless those expenses were reimbursed.

If you were required to sign a new contract every 6 months or so, then you could still count your work in ND as temporary.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies