turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live with and take care of my disabled mother i pay for all of the bills and household items. we do not have a house payment due to her reverse mortgage can i file HOH?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live with and take care of my disabled mother i pay for all of the bills and household items. we do not have a house payment due to her reverse mortgage can i file HOH?

Your mother can be a qualifying person for HOH only if you can also claim her as a dependent.

You can claim her as a dependent if she has less than $4050 of taxable income AND you provide more than half her total support.

If she has income from a reverse mortgage, then the support test is where you will need to do some careful analysis.  There is a chart in publication 501 to help.  It doesn't matter how much non-taxable income she has, but it matters what it gets spent on, and whether you or she provides more than half her total living expenses. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you paying more than 50% of the support for the entire household? Does Mom receive SSDI or some other type of disability income? A pension?

i do pay well over 50% for the household. mom does receive ssdi . she has no other form of income and the reversed mortgage was done years ago

Your mother can be a qualifying person for HOH only if you can also claim her as a dependent.

You can claim her as a dependent if she has less than $4050 of taxable income AND you provide more than half her total support.

If she has income from a reverse mortgage, then the support test is where you will need to do some careful analysis.  There is a chart in publication 501 to help.  It doesn't matter how much non-taxable income she has, but it matters what it gets spent on, and whether you or she provides more than half her total living expenses. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies