turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

erik21889

Are my wages (when looking at Table 1 in the "Two-Earners/Multiple Jobs Worksheet section of the W-4) only what I will be paid by the end of the year?

I'm married and just started a job. It is the end of October, so I will only be paid 3 or 4 times before the end of the year. This job will only last 3.5 months, so I know exactly how much I will be paid in total. My question is: when looking at Table 1 in the "Two Earners" section, do I use the tax bracket based on how much money I will make by the end of the year, or based on what my wages would be if I were to make this much for an entire year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are my wages (when looking at Table 1 in the "Two-Earners/Multiple Jobs Worksheet section of the W-4) only what I will be paid by the end of the year?

Use your expected actual  income amount  not just one paycheck. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Use your expected actual  income amount  not just one paycheck. 

If you are looking to compute the 2018 withholding and you will be working the entire year then you would also use the annual income for the 2018 calculation.

Ok ... probably wasn't clear ... use the expected annual income you will receive in 2017 since the W-4 calculations are based on annual amounts but do not add in income you will not earn.
erik21889

Does that mean I should include income from a previous job this year?

Yes ... you need to enter ALL your annual income from all sources to estimate the required withholding allowances.
erik21889

Thank you!
erik21889

Wait, I should include the income from a previous job this year, even though I've already had income tax withheld from those paychecks?

Again yes, because you cannot estimate withholding allowances on only a part year income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies