turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are monies collected from customers as a tour deposit, then later sent to the tour company considered travel expenses for my company? Are the monies considered income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Are monies collected from customers as a tour deposit, then later sent to the tour company considered travel expenses for my company? Are the monies considered income?

If you report them as income, then you would expense them (so you would even out).  In general, it would depend on your accounting methods.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m wondering if there is a better category to choose for the expense (tax wise) rather than travel, since the expense is not for my travel. 
Thanks!

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

From an accounting perspective, you could set these deposits up as a liability, rather than income. For example, you collect the cash, but you have to pay them to another entity. They are not yours to keep, nor are they funds collected specifically for your services. You could name the liability account something in the nature of "Upfront Deposit." When you issue payment to the tour company, the liability has now been satisfied. 

Handling the entry in this matter affects balance sheet accounts only: assets for the cash received/paid, and liabilities for the amount due and payment. This does not affect any income or expenses for your business. 

However, if you take any fees from these particular funds, you will need to account for them as income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies