turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jacksan1

Are FICA taxes due on an employee (me) on employer-provided long-term disability payments? FYI, these benefits are 100% taxable to me (premiums paid by employer).

I have been receiving benefits from a group (employment-based) long-term disability payments for all of this calendar year. The premiums for the LTD policy were paid for by my employer, and the benefits are 100% taxable to me. I am therefore assuming that the FICA taxes are due as well. Please confirm. 

And if the FICA taxes are due, are the rates the same as the self-employment taxes, 12.4% on Social Security and 2.9% on Medicare? 

And again if the FICA taxes are due, are they included in the calculation of the underpayment penalty together with the income tax if applicable, e.g., (income tax paid)+(FICA tax paid) < 90% of the actual income tax and FICA tax due)? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are FICA taxes due on an employee (me) on employer-provided long-term disability payments? FYI, these benefits are 100% taxable to me (premiums paid by employer).

1 Reply

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies