Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

Applied for ITIN for my non US citizen daughter, they asked to send her original passport, I did, they claim not to receive it, customer support does not help.

When I filed 2018 tax return, I also applied for ITIN for my daughter Mariia. State return was immediately processed, but later I received a mail notice from the federal IRS saying that I need to send them Mariia's ORIGINAL passport which I did (I have the USPS receipt which proves it was delivered) on ~June 12th. I did not hear anything back from them ever since and started getting worried. Then I called them asking if there is any update, and they were very unhelpful: it would take ~2 hours to get to a real person and one lady said I was not in the database, another one said I was but they never received my tax return, the other one said they received the tax return but did not receive any documents. They all keep saying it is not their department, something is wrong, they don't understand what happened. Today I received a notice that ITIN application was rejected because they did not receive my documents.

What should I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

pk

Since now you have something written from the IRS, please send them a letter explaining the situation ( there would be contact information on the  notice received ) and a copy of the  USPS "delivered " notice  -- not the original.  Send everything by Fed Ex or something where somebody has to actually receive and sign ( even though this will delay things  but you will have tracking information ).  Dealing with this will take some patience.

Is your daughter in the USA and if so with what visa?  Are you a citizen / resident / resident for tax purposes  or a non-resident alien ?

Thanks for reply!

I have H1B visa and my daughter has F-2 (she is dependent of my wife who is F-1 student).

In the notice they only put PO box address so UPS actually told me that only USPS delivers to PO boxes and that is how I sent the passport.

pk

@whatsuup , you can also visit the local IRS office  -- they have these in the local federal buildings  ( in main  towns of each state ).  May be able to get more help on a face to face  situation.  

So you are trying to file Married Filing Joint and include your daughter  as a dependent ?  Note that  because your wife is F-1, she is Non-Resident Alien  and exempt from counting days present and your daughter as F-2  ( dependent visa ) follows the status of your wife -- they both can be Non-Resident Alien and exempt from counting days present for five years  from date of first entry.  By filing with you, their exempt status may be impact ( Non-Resident Aliens are treated as single for tax filing purposes ).  Suggest you talk to a Tax Professional familiar Non-Resident alien filings.  Perhaps , your wife's school foreign student's office can help.