Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aspenn21

If I pay for ones Health Insurance as well as my own through my work how can I claim those costs on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

If I pay for ones Health Insurance as well as my own through my work how can I claim those costs on my taxes?

Yes. You may deduct the out-of-pocket costs (not paid through your payroll deductions) for health insurance premiums to insure yourself, your spouse, and your dependents if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A of your return. You will need to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe Edition if you decide to itemize your deductions rather than choosing the take the standard deduction, in which case you may still use the free edition.

The following TurboTax FAQ explains how to claim medical expenses (if you itemize your deductions). https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4774888 

[Edited 03.18.2019 | 5:10 PM pst]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Yes. You may deduct the out-of-pocket costs (not paid through your payroll deductions) for health insurance premiums to insure yourself, your spouse, and your dependents if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A of your return. You will need to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe Edition if you decide to itemize your deductions rather than choosing the take the standard deduction, in which case you may still use the free edition.

The following TurboTax FAQ explains how to claim medical expenses (if you itemize your deductions). https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4774888 

[Edited 03.18.2019 | 5:10 PM pst]

JulieR
Expert Alumni

Answer updated to provide further clarification.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies