turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

knuf29

If I am the status of a senior in college before 2017 do I answer yes or no to "had you earned four years of college credit before 2017?" I am currently in my undergrad.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

If I am the status of a senior in college before 2017 do I answer yes or no to "had you earned four years of college credit before 2017?" I am currently in my undergrad.

Answer no to this, since you haven't completed your undergraduate degree.  According to IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education,

"A student has completed the first 4 years of postsecondary education if the institution at which the student is enrolled awards the student 4 years of academic credit at that institution for coursework completed by the student before 2017."

That said, please bear in mind that you would be ineligible for the American Opportunity Credit if you've already received that credit for four years.  You would still most likely be eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Answer no to this, since you haven't completed your undergraduate degree.  According to IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education,

"A student has completed the first 4 years of postsecondary education if the institution at which the student is enrolled awards the student 4 years of academic credit at that institution for coursework completed by the student before 2017."

That said, please bear in mind that you would be ineligible for the American Opportunity Credit if you've already received that credit for four years.  You would still most likely be eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies