lannyhilton

Am I required to make estimated tax payments throughout the year even though I won't be receiving my first RMD until the end of 2018?

We received a refund in 2017.  The estimated RMD is $35K and this is the only significant change in 2018.

macuser_22

Nobody is required to make estimated payments.  The only reason to do so is if you would have an under payment of tax and have a underpayment penalty.   For a RMD you can just ask the IRA custodian to withhold enough tax to cover the tax, such as 20% is you expect to be in the 20% tax bracket.

macuser_22