turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I exempt from the 10% penalty tax?

I am almost 58 years old and just retired from the State of Oregon after 33 years of service. I rolled my (IAP) Individual Account Program into my 457b Program (Oregon Savings Growth Plan) I am planning on starting disbursements next year. Am I exempt from the 10% penalty tax? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Amounts rolled into your 457(b) from are kept in a separate subaccount in your 457(b).  While distributions from the regular account are not subject to any early-distribution penalty, distributions from the separate rollover subaccount are subject to an early-distribution penalty unless an exception applies.  Separating from service in or after the year in which you reach age 55 would be one such exception.  Contact the plan administrator for details.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Amounts rolled into your 457(b) from are kept in a separate subaccount in your 457(b).  While distributions from the regular account are not subject to any early-distribution penalty, distributions from the separate rollover subaccount are subject to an early-distribution penalty unless an exception applies.  Separating from service in or after the year in which you reach age 55 would be one such exception.  Contact the plan administrator for details.

MinhT
Expert Alumni

Distributions from your 457(b) plan are exempt from the early withdrawal tax penalty only after age 59 1/2. It does not matter whether you are retired or not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ascdrew
Returning Member

My understanding is that retired peace officers can withdrawl from their 457(b) plan once retired at any age without the 10% tax penalty.  Am I mistaken?  In my scenario, I'm looking at retiring at age 48.75 after 28 years.  If I started taking dispursements/withdrawls, would I be subject to the 10% penalty in addition to ordinary income tax on those funds I take out?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies