Am I a nonresident alien or resident alien? Also, am I supposed to file FBAR form?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I a nonresident alien or resident alien? Also, am I supposed to file FBAR form?

I am on H1B visa and lived in US for the whole 2017. Am I a nonresident alien or resident alien? Also, am I supposed to file FBAR form?

1 Reply
Level 2

As a H-1B visa holder, if you meet the Substantial Presence Test  SPT, you are very likely a resident alien for tax purposes.  As a resident, you are required to file FBAR if meet the following criteria.

Per IRS, United States persons are required to file an FBAR if:

1. the United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
  2. the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.

United States person includes U.S. citizens; U.S. residents; entities, including but not limited to, corporations, partnerships, or limited liability companies, created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States; and trusts or estates formed under the laws of the United States.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings