Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married filing separately using 1040 NR

I am a non resident alienn. Last year we filed 1040 joint return as my spouse is resident, but this year I would like to file married filing separately using 1040NR. Can this be done?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have made the election to be treated as resident alien last ear, in order to file a joint return, that election is still valid. If you do not want to file as resident alien, you need to revoke that choice and you cannot use it again in the future.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse-treated-as-a-resident

Anyway, what is your and your spouses visa status and when did you both come to the US?

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you have made the election to be treated as resident alien last ear, in order to file a joint return, that election is still valid. If you do not want to file as resident alien, you need to revoke that choice and you cannot use it again in the future.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse-treated-as-a-resident

Anyway, what is your and your spouses visa status and when did you both come to the US?

My Spouse is on H1-B and I am on F1. My spouse and I have been in the US since 2007 and 2011 respectively

My pay last year does not have any social security taxes witheld. So I am assuming when I file a joint return I must pay social security and medicare taxes as I become a resident now.

yes, your employer should have withheld FICA taxes for 2016. Talk to them bout correcting this ASAP. You would be liable for FICA, not matter how you file our return.
HelenaC

Although TurboTax has never supported Form 1040NR: U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies