turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mindough

Can I claim a friend that has been living with me that didn't have an income for the entire year? Can I also claim her children?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BobB7

Can I claim a friend that has been living with me that didn't have an income for the entire year? Can I also claim her children?

Whether you can claim them comes down to whether you provided over half their support.  Without knowing whether the 104 is per child or how she and the kids are able to cover their non rent expenses it's hard to guess the answer to that, but it's probably at least a close call.  Unless you are also providing lots of food or other monetary support.

But:  You certainly do NOT have to pay tax on 650*12 of income.  You DO have to report it as rental income but if you do your tax return as though you have rental income you get lots of deductions from that: their share of utilities, heating costs, property tax, property insurance, garbage pick-up,snowplowing, etc.  Plus some depreciation on your house.  It's a bit more complicated and requires a bit more expensive version of the software but it's likely to save you a lot of tax by reducing the amount of the 650 which actually gets taxed.  

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Did they live with you all of 2016?  What about the children's other parent? Child Support?
Mindough

Yes, they lived with me all year. Father only has them on weekends. He pays child support.
Mindough

Also, my friend is getting temp assistance, for rent, which comes to me. I have to claim that as my income. Does that factor into my original question?
BobB7

Is she married to the father?  Divorced?  Is there a formal child support order?  How much does the tmep assistance paid to you come to?
Mindough

They are seperated. They do not file together. There is a formal child support order. She has the power to claim the children each year. The tep assistance is $650/month.
BobB7

Did she have any income other than child support?  If not, and if they both lived with you for the entire 2016 year, then you can claim them both.  What is "tep assistance"?
Mindough

Sorry, temp assistance
Mindough

No she didn't have any income, besides temp assistance and child support
Mindough

How would she claim the EIC for the kids? I'm not sure that I can claim that because they are not related to me.
BobB7

Did she get the $650 all 12 months?  Do you own your home? How much is the child support?  Do your have you family living in your home, too?
BobB7

She cannot claim EIC if she had no earned income.  And so she has no reason to file a return at all. And you cannot claim it, either, in any event.
Mindough

Yes, she got the $650 all year. Yes, I own my home. Child support is only $104/month for 3 children. I do not have any other family members living in my home anymore.
BobB7

$104 per child or $104 total/ mo?
Mindough

$104/month total, for all 3 kids
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies