turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

File for an extension

I'd like to file for an extension to file my taxes.  How do I do that through TurboTax?  How does it impact state taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies
dorisvw11

File for an extension

file for extension

File for an extension

Other tax situations

File for an extension

After April 18 it is too late to file for an extension.  Just file your return as soon as possible.  If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for filing late.  You can efile until Oct. 16, 2017.

File for an extension

Does Arizona have a separate Tax Extension form?

File for an extension

I want yo file a extension now

File for an extension

I need the papers to file a extension
ethel0624

File for an extension

I paid you $100.00 on my taxes plus $65.00 to do the extensions
ethel0624

File for an extension

no on Saturday 4/16/2018
oven

File for an extension

does west Virginia have separate extens
snowecap

File for an extension

I don't file the eazy extension. We use long form. tURBO tAX continues to give me an individual filing...we are filing jointly. I have never had so much trouble trying to file an extension EVER before. My printer won't print out a form. Our library 20 miles away is closed on Monday. If I could do efile (online filing) I would be fine. None of the answers are helping me AT ALL. Where can I go on the last day, 4/17/2018 tomorrow to file extension? I'm sure I could mail it out, on last day as long as it was date stamped by 17th. I'm so frustrated I can't think anymore. HELP

File for an extension

I missed the deadline of April 17, 2018. But I filed my taxes online before that and i am due a refund. Can I mail tax returns right now?

File for an extension

If you e-filed, you do not need to mail your tax return.  Or was it rejected?
When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef...>
If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here?  
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/refunds">https://www.irs.gov/refunds</a>           Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

File for an extension

How could you miss the deadline if you filed before it?  If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for filing late.

File for an extension

@alsharifm8        "I filed my taxes..."  Do you really just mean you prepared your return but did not file it by e-filing it or mailing it?  
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies