Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

olympea

Does turbo tax try to take 70% of everyone’s returns, and is there something more reasonable out there?

At least that’s what I tried to do

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does turbo tax try to take 70% of everyone’s returns, and is there something more reasonable out there?

TurboTax has 2 free products, but it appears you are not in one of them.  If you are in Deluxe Edition, that is a paid edition.  In Deluxe, the preparation fee is 39.99 for a Federal return and 36.99 for a State return.  And there is an extra 39.99 fee (or 44.99 for California) if you pay those out of the Federal refund.

The regular Free Edition currently has an Absolute Zero promotion, which is free for both Federal and State returns for filers who can use Form 1040A or 1040EZ.   The Absolute Zero promotion will expire at some point, when there will then be a fee for a State return.

Do you need Deluxe because of a situation in your return, such as Form 1040, itemized deductions, HSA, foreign earned income, early distribution from a retirement plan, etc.?

If you don't need Deluxe and can file a simple return using Form 1040A or 1040EZ, you can downgrade to regular Free Edition if you haven't already paid or registered.  Here's how to downgrade:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894467-can-i-switch-to-a-lower-priced-version-of-turbotax-online

In addition to the regular Free Edition, TurboTax also has another free product called the FREEDOM Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation AND free State preparation. There is no efiling fee.

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, F and enter K-1 that the Free Edition cannot.  It will prepare a Form 1040 return, or 1040A or 1040EZ.

For Freedom Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

• AGI of $33,000 or less
  • or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2017 AGI of $66,000 or less
  • or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREEDOM Edition is located at the following site:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

Here's how to switch and start over in Freedom Edition (requires new account at the Freedom website)
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

View solution in original post

13 Replies
olympea

All of a sudden at the end, I had three different charges that amount to about 70% of my entire return

TurboTax does not charge a percentage.   TurboTax has set prices for the product fees.  

If you are using a paid edition, TurboTax even charges a preparation fee if someone has no refund at all and has to pay additional Federal tax due.

If you are using Online Deluxe  (that's what is shown by your screen name above), the Federal return is currently 39.99, and the State return is 36.99.   (Be aware that those prices will rise after 2/28, if the discounted price is not locked in before then by either filing or paying in advance.)

If you choose top pay the TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund, there is an additional 39.99 service fee for that option (44.99 for California filers, where it is bundled with Premium Services.)    If you chose that payment method and wish to remove it prior to filing, we can tell you the proper way to do so and how to then pay your fees upfront with credit/debit card or a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.

Were you charged 39.99 for Federal, 36.99 for State, and then chose to pay out of the Federal refund (39.99 or 44.99 service fee) as explained above.   If so, that would total either 116.97 or 121.97 (California), plus possible sales tax.
olympea

What’s free about the “free” edition???

As I said above, you appear to be in the Deluxe Edition, not the Free Edition.   Look in the top left corner of your program when the return is open.  Does it say "Deluxe" by the TurboTax logo?

The prices I gave you above are for the Deluxe edition that you appear to be using..  Do you want information on the 2 free products and how to move to one?    If you don't need the Deluxe Edition, you can switch if you have not already paid.

It now says Free Edition by your screen name above.  Did you change products?  Here's another possibility:  

If you are in the Free Edition, were you charged for PLUS at 29.99?  Then did you choose to pay the 29.99 fee out of the Federal refund?     If so, that would be 29.99 plus 39.99 (or 44.99 for California).
olympea

I don’t know what is going on but I feel like I’m being ripped off.
olympea

I don’t know how to change products, I’ve been trying to do so for the last five days because I don’t know how all these fees got put on there I definitely did not opt in for them

Check this way to see what you are being charged for.  What products and fees are shown when you check this way:

With your return open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
In the Tools window, choose MY FEES.
What is shown there?

If you don't understand your fees, you can phone TurboTax Support in a few hours and get assistance.  It's important that you talk to them before paying to get into the right product.
olympea

Yes! All those fees you said! How did that happen? I did not sign up for all those and I definitely would be pointless to, it’s not like I have that much money coming back to me

OK.  If you are in Deluxe Edition, I will tell you how to move to one of the free products, if you have not already paid.  Watch for my answer below.
olympea

Thank goodness!

TurboTax has 2 free products, but it appears you are not in one of them.  If you are in Deluxe Edition, that is a paid edition.  In Deluxe, the preparation fee is 39.99 for a Federal return and 36.99 for a State return.  And there is an extra 39.99 fee (or 44.99 for California) if you pay those out of the Federal refund.

The regular Free Edition currently has an Absolute Zero promotion, which is free for both Federal and State returns for filers who can use Form 1040A or 1040EZ.   The Absolute Zero promotion will expire at some point, when there will then be a fee for a State return.

Do you need Deluxe because of a situation in your return, such as Form 1040, itemized deductions, HSA, foreign earned income, early distribution from a retirement plan, etc.?

If you don't need Deluxe and can file a simple return using Form 1040A or 1040EZ, you can downgrade to regular Free Edition if you haven't already paid or registered.  Here's how to downgrade:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894467-can-i-switch-to-a-lower-priced-version-of-turbotax-online

In addition to the regular Free Edition, TurboTax also has another free product called the FREEDOM Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation AND free State preparation. There is no efiling fee.

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, F and enter K-1 that the Free Edition cannot.  It will prepare a Form 1040 return, or 1040A or 1040EZ.

For Freedom Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

• AGI of $33,000 or less
  • or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2017 AGI of $66,000 or less
  • or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREEDOM Edition is located at the following site:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

Here's how to switch and start over in Freedom Edition (requires new account at the Freedom website)
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies