turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim HOH status while my live-in girlfriend claims our son as her dependent for EIC purposes? I thought I couldn't but TurboTax is "forcing me" into an HOH status

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim HOH status while my live-in girlfriend claims our son as her dependent for EIC purposes? I thought I couldn't but TurboTax is "forcing me" into an HOH status

No.

If your live-in girlfriend is claiming the child, don't enter the child at all on your tax return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

No.

If your live-in girlfriend is claiming the child, don't enter the child at all on your tax return.

Thank you!
Your answer makes sense based on what I thought and helps me know what to do get out of HOH status.  
However, doesn't it seem odd that I have to delete him in order to get my status "right" in Turbo Tax?  Based on the questions Turbo Tax asks me, it seems like the system would be smart enough to put leave me out of HOH status, after all it asked me and I answered that I have an agreement with my GF that she will claim me...
Thanks again!

Claim him* I meant

The interview is set up for situations where parents do NOT live together.  We have been bugging the Developers to correct this for a long time (there is currently an active discussion in a private forum that has has dozens of responses trying to get them to fix it).

Ah!  Makes sense and great to know that I'm not crazy : )  
Seems like a relatively simple, if temporary fix if they just at least indicated what you just said: interview is for parents NOT living together and delete the child from return if that does not apply to you
Many, many thanks for the prompt and very helpful answers...and for helping protect my sanity : )

Yes, it should be a very easy fix, but trying to get them to correct problems is like 'pulling teeth'.

I just added your post to the private discussion to add to the support that this is a NEEDED fix.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies