turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nopr123

Actually I was working at us by j1 visa. so I don't need to pay to IRS. I don't know why they took my money. I heard most of j1 visa, they can get tax back.

but in my case, they took money.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Actually I was working at us by j1 visa. so I don't need to pay to IRS. I don't know why they took my money. I heard most of j1 visa, they can get tax back.

When did you first enter the US with the J visa ?
nopr123

I started at Jan 04 2017
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a J-visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident for the first two years since you entered the US. ( 2017 and 2018)  You will need to file a Form 1040NR reporting only U.S source income.  For income taxes, you might still owe IRS, see Nonresident and Tax Treaty.

However, you are exempt from FICA, the Social security and Medicare taxes up two years when you are a nonresident.  If they were withheld in error from pay that is not subject to these taxes, you should contact the employer who withheld the taxes for a refund.

If you are unable to get a full refund of the amount from your employer, file a claim for refund with the Internal Revenue Service on Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement

Please see More Form 843 for more information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies