Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a zero 1099-B, even though the statement shows stock sales at a gain. Also says not reported. Do I need to include on my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Received a zero 1099-B, even though the statement shows stock sales at a gain. Also says not reported. Do I need to include on my tax return?

Yes, this means that your brokerage company did not have the dollar amount that you paid for the stock so they did not report the cost basis. They did report the sale proceeds to the IRS so you have to report it on your income tax return.

You have to enter what you paid for the stock otherwise you will pay taxes on the total amount of the sales proceeds of the stock.

For tax-reporting purposes, the difference between covered and noncovered shares is this:

• For covered shares, we're required to report cost basis to both you and the IRS.
  • For noncovered shares, the reporting is sent only to you.

Related information:

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, this means that your brokerage company did not have the dollar amount that you paid for the stock so they did not report the cost basis. They did report the sale proceeds to the IRS so you have to report it on your income tax return.

You have to enter what you paid for the stock otherwise you will pay taxes on the total amount of the sales proceeds of the stock.

For tax-reporting purposes, the difference between covered and noncovered shares is this:

• For covered shares, we're required to report cost basis to both you and the IRS.
  • For noncovered shares, the reporting is sent only to you.

Related information:

Actually, I read the question to say that the broker did report the basis to Donald, just not to the IRS.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies