Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I downloaded the 2020 turbo tax on my computer and want to start a tax return but can not figure out how to start the return. How do you start one?

I downloaded the 2020 turbo tax on my computer.  there is not any start button to hit to start a return  How do you do it??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

I downloaded the 2020 turbo tax on my computer and want to start a tax return but can not figure out how to start the return. How do you start one?

To activate and install your TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll need the license code, a 16-character (or 14-character for 2019 products) combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) that can be found:

• On the CD box insert, envelope, or packing slip; OR
  • In the Download confirmation email and/or order history

Enter it in the License code box on the activation screen and select Continue to complete installation.

You’re free to use the same license code to install the software on up to five computers; you'll need to purchase another license if you need more.

If you need help installing, select your computer for more info:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In your download folder you should see a program like this:  w_turbotax_1040_..... click on this to install turbotax on your computer. Once it's installed, you should see on your desktop a red circle with a white checkmark in it. click on this to start the turbotax program.

completed all steps to download software, using license code.  How do i start the downloaded software?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Once you have completed entering the license code the software should launch. If not you should see a red circle with a white checkmark on your desktop. Click on this to start TurboTax.

Please see this if you are having an issue with this final step: Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
haskella

I purchase a new CD copy of 2020 Turbo Tax.    It has a 16 character activation code.

After entering 14 characters it will not accept any more characters.

Do I need to send it back? It was purchased from Amazon.

Lawrence Haskel

[email address removed]

Better call in.  2019 was 14 digits but 2020 is 16.  Maybe you are typing it wrong?  Like maybe don't type the dashes?

Contact Customer Service (You need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.) 
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies