turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Denton

I'm currently deployed and was unable to finish my taxes or file an extension on my turbo tax account, what now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I'm currently deployed and was unable to finish my taxes or file an extension on my turbo tax account, what now?

According to the IRS:

You may be allowed an automatic 2-month extension of time to file your return and pay any federal income tax that is due. You will be allowed the extension if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien and on the regular due date of your return:
  • You are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  • You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico

Even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

Service In A Combat Zone

If you served in a combat zone or qualified hazardous duty area, see Extension of Deadlines in Publication 3, Armed Forces' Tax Guide.

Simply download Form 4968 here, from the IRS.gov website:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

Then print and fill out just Page 1 of that document, using a black or blue pen (or even a pencil).  Check Box # 8 to indicate that you're not in the US, and also fill out the address section with your current (foreign) address.

Don't worry about the State Box if it's not applicable to your country; but please do enter your foreign country postal code in the Zip Code Box.  Then mail the completed single-sheet document using your own envelope and an international mail stamp to the appropriate address (see Page 4 of the instructions for Form 4968 at the above link for a complete address list).

The IRS office for receiving a Form 4968 from overseas will be either Charlotte, North Carolina, or Austin, Texas . . . depending on whether or not any payment is enclosed with Form 4968.  This extension request and process will give you an extra 6 months to file your tax return.

Also, please read the following IRS webpages, for additional information on extensions for overseas taxpayers.  You should find the material there interesting.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/u-s-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad-auto...

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/u-s-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad-auto...

Denton

Will my return on turbo tax still process? Is any further information needed for me to submit it?
DDollar
Expert Alumni

See the information added to the answer.
Manage cookies