Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live out of the US while my wife live in US. Do we qualify for two-month automatic extension for filing my tax return?

I am working outside of the US, but my wife still live and work inside the US. We file our federal tax return together. Please let me know if we qualify for the two-month automatic extension without filing the Form 4868? If we qualify, do we need to pay the amount of our due in case we owe certain amount to IRS by estimation? Thanks a lot.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I live out of the US while my wife live in US. Do we qualify for two-month automatic extension for filing my tax return?

Just file the 4868 for the 6 month extension now and pay what you expect to owe ... the 2 month extension doesn't exempt you from paying what you owe now or keeps the penalties & interest from accruing .... it  just gives you more time to pay.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

According to the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad-autom...

Married Taxpayers

If you file a joint return, either you or your spouse can qualify for the automatic extension. If you and your spouse file separate returns, this automatic extension applies only to the spouse who qualifies.

Please note that the extension is until June 15th and if you have a balance due interest will still accrue on any balance due from April15th to June 15th.  However no penalties will accrue.

You must check a box in TurboTax when you do file your taxes.  Type in automatic extension for persons outside the U.S. in the search bar at the top of the page when your return is open and check the box that you want to apply for the extension. 

How To Get The Extension

To use this automatic 2-month extension, you must attach a statement to your return explaining which of the two situations listed earlier qualified you for the extension.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies