Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I go about filing my taxes this year? My situation is different.

I'm trying to file my taxes but I'm getting somewhat confused on a few things. 

A) Do I still need to check the box saying I can be claimed as a dependent? I'm 23, but haven't lived with my parents for years, I pay my own rent and other living expenses (well over half) and work full-time to do so. 

B) How do I file my college information? My parents have claimed this part for the past few years, yet I don't live with them and pay for 90% of everything I have/need. They make approximately 90K a year, so I'm not sure if claiming my schooling would benefit them more, or me more. And every time I try to file the 1098 from my university is says I'm not allowed to, most likely because of my age. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

A) Well, first of all, you really need to decide if you are still a dependent of your parents or not.

If  you are under 24 and a full time student (attend at least half-time), your parents could claim you.

Living away from home to attend school does not always count as not living at home, in other words, your parents can legally say you live at home when you are away at school, according to IRS rules.

You say you work full-time and supply over half your support. If this is true, then your parents cannot claim you as their dependent. You would file and NOT check the box "can you be claimed as a dependent"

But make sure you really do pay more that half your support. Think about health insurance, do your parents cover you on their policy? Did they pay tuition, insurance or loans for you?

B) If you are a dependent of your parents, you cannot claim any of the credits. If you are not their dependent, they cannot deduct education expenses nor can they claim education credits pertaining to you, but you could.

As far as who would benefit more? It's true that Adjusted Gross Income and other factors will affect how much "bang you get for the buck". You claiming the credit might result in a smaller refunded amount than if your parents claimed it, but the bottom line is-

AS FAR AS THE IRS IS CONCERNED:

It doesn't matter who benefits more,

IF YOU ARE YOUR PARENTS DEPENDENT, THEY CLAIM YOUR EXEMPTION AND CREDITS

IF YOU ARE NOT THEIR DEPENDENT, YOU CLAIM YOUR EXEMPTION AND CREDITS

Even if you figure out that you are still a dependent to your parents, you can file. You won't get your exemption, but you can claim a reduced standard deduction or even Itemize.

Here is some information that might help you and your folks figure it out:

Rules for Claiming a Dependent

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

A) Well, first of all, you really need to decide if you are still a dependent of your parents or not.

If  you are under 24 and a full time student (attend at least half-time), your parents could claim you.

Living away from home to attend school does not always count as not living at home, in other words, your parents can legally say you live at home when you are away at school, according to IRS rules.

You say you work full-time and supply over half your support. If this is true, then your parents cannot claim you as their dependent. You would file and NOT check the box "can you be claimed as a dependent"

But make sure you really do pay more that half your support. Think about health insurance, do your parents cover you on their policy? Did they pay tuition, insurance or loans for you?

B) If you are a dependent of your parents, you cannot claim any of the credits. If you are not their dependent, they cannot deduct education expenses nor can they claim education credits pertaining to you, but you could.

As far as who would benefit more? It's true that Adjusted Gross Income and other factors will affect how much "bang you get for the buck". You claiming the credit might result in a smaller refunded amount than if your parents claimed it, but the bottom line is-

AS FAR AS THE IRS IS CONCERNED:

It doesn't matter who benefits more,

IF YOU ARE YOUR PARENTS DEPENDENT, THEY CLAIM YOUR EXEMPTION AND CREDITS

IF YOU ARE NOT THEIR DEPENDENT, YOU CLAIM YOUR EXEMPTION AND CREDITS

Even if you figure out that you are still a dependent to your parents, you can file. You won't get your exemption, but you can claim a reduced standard deduction or even Itemize.

Here is some information that might help you and your folks figure it out:

Rules for Claiming a Dependent

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies