Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099-g and I am not sure why..it says certain government types, but when I try to file it there is no box b to report.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a 1099-g and I am not sure why..it says certain government types, but when I try to file it there is no box b to report.

To enter a state refund just type  1099-G or 1099-g (with the dash)  in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To it.

OR  Enter the 1099G under
 Federal on the left side
Wages & Income at the top

Scroll down to  Other Common Income
      You might need click on Show More to expand the section

Then it's the first line for Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns - Click Start or Revisit
     You do not want the next line that says Other 1099G Income

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

A 1099G does not have a box b.  If you have a box b on your screen you are in the wrong place.  What box is the amount in?  1 or 2?  Are you entering it in the right place?  Box 1 is for unemployment and goes in one place AND box 2 is for a state tax refund and goes somewhere else.

there is not a box 1 just a box 2 state income tax refund. So where should I file that?

To enter a state refund just type  1099-G or 1099-g (with the dash)  in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To it.

OR  Enter the 1099G under
 Federal on the left side
Wages & Income at the top

Scroll down to  Other Common Income
      You might need click on Show More to expand the section

Then it's the first line for Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns - Click Start or Revisit
     You do not want the next line that says Other 1099G Income

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

See screen shot added above
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies