Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2021 Tax Year

In 2019 my mother claimed me as a student dependent. I was 22 and a full time college student and my earned income was around $3000. In the 2020 year, I was 23 years old and I got a job and made over $20,000. Do i still qualify as a dependent? If not can my filing status be single and if i do will i get a stimulus check? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

2021 Tax Year

Your income is not a direct factor in qualifying as a dependent child. Below are the rules from IRS Publication 501 and the key in your situation is rule number 4.  "Did you provide over half of your own support?"  With income of over $20K it may be difficult to meet that test. 

Secondly you are correct.  If you do not qualify as a dependent you would be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return.  Since you are over age 17 you would not qualify for any child stimulus payments to your mother. 

Here is a link with more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit. 

1.  The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.2

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

2021 Tax Year

If you were not a full time student in 2020 you can’t be claimed as a dependent. Yes, you will get your stimulus on your 2020 return.  That will be reconciled when you get to the federal review section of the program. 

2021 Tax Year

I was a full time student and i made $20k. I thought i would not qualify anyways since there was a rule that i could not make over $4k i think ? Thank btw. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

2021 Tax Year

Your income is not a direct factor in qualifying as a dependent child. Below are the rules from IRS Publication 501 and the key in your situation is rule number 4.  "Did you provide over half of your own support?"  With income of over $20K it may be difficult to meet that test. 

Secondly you are correct.  If you do not qualify as a dependent you would be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return.  Since you are over age 17 you would not qualify for any child stimulus payments to your mother. 

Here is a link with more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit. 

1.  The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.2

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2021 Tax Year

As a full time student you could be claimed by your parents if you did not provide more than half of your support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies