Solved: 2018 Desktop Imported Into 2019 Desktop, but not S...

jyoungquist18

2018 Desktop Imported Into 2019 Desktop, but not Showing up for Comparison Purposes

I use turbotax Premier desktop version. I installed it on my new computer, and I realized that I needed to import my 2018 desktop tax return, so I could have the history for comparison purposes. I opened a new return in 2019, and I followed the instructions to import 2018. I realized that, for whatever reason, I only saved my 2018 return as a pdf. I clicked on that, and it seemed to import just fine, but nothing from 2018 is showing up for comparison purposes. Is that because I imported from the pdf? If so, am I out of luck?

Intuit Approved!

Right because you transferred a pdf.  You need the tax data file ending in .tax2018.  The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2018, etc.  And check the Recycle Bin.  For Windows 10 check the One Drive.  Did you make any backups?  Like DropBox.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2018."  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Did you use the 2018 Desktop program?  Try this.... start the 2018 program and try to open your return.  Go up to File-Open.  Then save your return and watch where it saves it.  Go to File-Save or Save As.

Intuit Approved!

Find your Tax file in Windows

jyoungquist18

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I only saved it as a pdf. I won't make that mistake this year. 🙂