2017 federal tax return. How do I use standard ded...

Bjcslc

2017 federal tax return. How do I use standard deduction?

Using the TurboTax the Standard Deduction is automatic.  Only if your itemized deductions are greater than the Standard Deduction for your filing status would the itemized deductions from Schedule A be used on the federal tax return.

Standard deductions for 2017

• Single - $6,350 add $1,550 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $6,350 add $1,250 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $12,700 add $1,250 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $9,350 add $1,550 if age 65 or older

If you are preparing a 2017 return, make sure you are using 2017 software--you cannot use the current online program which is only for 2019 returns.  2017 software must be downloaded to your own computer, and the return must be printed, signed and mailed.  It cannot be e-filed.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.