turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-r question from distribution of non-qualified annuity

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For some reason, my question was missing.

My 1099R indicates 1D, early distribution, but I didn't get the money until a month after I turned 59.5 - shouldn't it be normal distribution?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

On the face of it, it would seem that this should be a normal distribution, but see the explanation for Distribution Code 1 -- Early distribution, no known exception in Table 1, Guide to Distribution Codes in the Instructions for Forms 1099-R and 5498:

"Use Code 1 only if the participant has not reached age 59 1/2, and you do not know if any of the exceptions under Code 2, 3, or 4 apply. However, use Code 1 even if the distribution is made for medical expenses, health insurance premiums, qualified higher education expenses, a first-time home purchase, a qualified reservist distribution, or a qualified birth or adoption distribution under section 72(t)(2)(B), (D), (E), (F), (G), or (H). Code 1 also must be used even if a taxpayer is 59 1/2 or older and he or she modifies a series of substantially equal periodic payments under section 72(q), (t), or (v) prior to the end of the 5-year period which began with the first payment."

[Bolding mine.]

So, it's possible that the "1" code is correct, but if you feel that it's incorrect, you should contact the plan administrator.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies