webslinger73

1099-R: Enter the portion of the income you received from sources in Kansas or while you were a resident of Kansas. If I've already input from fed, do I enter the same?

KittyM

Are you entering a Part-Year Kansas return?
webslinger73

Yes
webslinger73

I'm simply not understanding what I'm being asked to enter.  What is meant by "sources in Kansas?"
webslinger73

None of my 401(k) was received from any source in the state.
webslinger73

Jesus, nevermind.  Going to file with a local tax pro.
KittyM

The relevant portion of this question is "While you were a resident of Kansas."  Just enter the portion for the months you lived in Kansas, ie Amount / 12 x Number of Months.  Your former state gets the reciprocal amount.
webslinger73

I took the entire distribution while I was still a state resident.
webslinger73

To clarify: lived in Ks from 01/2017 to 05/2017 and then moved to Co.  Have lived in Co since.
webslinger73

Took the entire distribution in May, while a Ks resident.
webslinger73

You're saying I need to allocate the entire distribution to my Kansas return.  Yes?
KittyM

If you took your distribution while you were a resident of Kansas, then you will "Allocate" (assign) that distribution to Kansas.

When you are working on a Part-Year Resident return, the software assumes nothing regarding your income and expenses except in relation to W-2's, which have a state assigned to them.  Therefore, you must manually review the return(s) for accuracy.