turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

walkerpkw

1099-misc payer over reported my income. They won't send corrected one.

The amount reported from my property management company is including the full rent, and the deposit they kept which I never saw. They deducted fees so the amount paid and directly deposited is about $3,200 less than Rent Box-1 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If it is a non-refundable deposit, the deposit is properly reported as income.  If the deposit was refundable, you are right, it should not be reported as income.  As a work-around, you can report the full amount (including the deposit) and then enter the amount of the deposit as an "other" expense.

Your need to report the full rent, and then report any expenses for the rental (such as their fees).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If it is a non-refundable deposit, the deposit is properly reported as income.  If the deposit was refundable, you are right, it should not be reported as income.  As a work-around, you can report the full amount (including the deposit) and then enter the amount of the deposit as an "other" expense.

Your need to report the full rent, and then report any expenses for the rental (such as their fees).

walkerpkw

I guess I'll figure a way to deduct the deposit but should the management company have listed the security deposit (which they held) as Rent paid to me? So either they send me a corrected 1099 or they do in fact report all rent income received and list that in Rents Box. Thanks

As I said before, if it is a nonrefundable deposit, yes, it is reported as income as rent.

As for why you have not receive that money from the management company, you would need to discuss that with them.  They may just be temporarily holding it until the end of the lease.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies