Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

1099 misc for my child

How do I enter a 1099 MISC for my child? I received one for $878.
1 Reply
New Member

1099 misc for my child

You do not enter the child's income on your return.   You can still claim your child as a dependent.  They will have to file their own return for the 1099-Misc if the amount is $400 or more and the income is reported in Box 7.  Even though there will be no regular income tax on it, they have to pay self-employment tax on it. 

 On the Child's return be sure to check the box that says they can be claimed on someone else's return.  That is VERY important.  Double check that.  

NOTE:  If the amount is in Box 3 of 1099-MISC (other income) and $6,300 or more, then the child must file a tax return.  And again, the child must indicate they can be claimed on someone else's tax return.

Here are the steps to create another online account if your child needs to prepare a tax return:

Each TurboTax Online account is for one federal tax return.  However, you can create another TurboTax Online account to file another return using the same email address but a different login for each account.  If you are preparing multiple tax returns, a CD/Download may be more economical.  See the info below for creating another online account or for purchasing a CD/Download:

Create another TurboTax Online account:

CD/Download products:

If you are planning to prepare more than one return, you may want to consider purchasing a TurboTax CD/Download as you get 5 free federal e-files with the product.  Here is a link to the CD/Download products:


About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies