turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alatalia

1099-misc for class action lawsuit (non-wage). "Other income" and "gross proceeds paid to an attorney" are filled. TurboTax asks if Attorney fees taxable. How do I know?

I did not received the fees, just received the amount in box 3 (Other income).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

1099-misc for class action lawsuit (non-wage). "Other income" and "gross proceeds paid to an attorney" are filled. TurboTax asks if Attorney fees taxable. How do I know?

Attorney fees are taxable unless the lawyer is pursuing taxable income on your behalf.  This is usually an effort to recapture wages.

You stated that this was a non-wage issue.  So the attorney fees are taxable.  However, you can simply enter the number you have in box 3.  If you got that amount the fees will have been taken care of.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
alatalia

This is actually more complicated...

The Class Action Lawsuit itself WAS wages-related. I have received a settlement payment where 50% of the payment are wages (with taxes withheld) and the other 50% non-wage income for interest, liquidated damages and statutory and civil penalties. I got W2 for wages and 1099-MISC for the other income. 1099-MISC has the pro rata share of the attorneys' fees (in box 10).  With all this additional information, what part of the attorney fees on 1099 is taxable to me (if any)? 

Thank you so much!

@alatalia wrote:

This is actually more complicated...

The Class Action Lawsuit itself WAS wages-related. I have received a settlement payment where 50% of the payment are wages (with taxes withheld) and the other 50% non-wage income for interest, liquidated damages and statutory and civil penalties. I got W2 for wages and 1099-MISC for the other income. 1099-MISC has the pro rata share of the attorneys' fees (in box 10).  With all this additional information, what part of the attorney fees on 1099 is taxable to me (if any)? 

Thank you so much!

For 2020 only attorneys fees for discrimination lawsuits are deductible.   The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) eliminated all other attorneys fee deductions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
alatalia

So when Turbo Tax asks me if the attorney fees are taxable, do I enter the amount of pro rata fee (in Box 10 1099-MISC)? Even if I have not gotten these funds?

Thank you!

@alatalia wrote:

So when Turbo Tax asks me if the attorney fees are taxable, do I enter the amount of pro rata fee (in Box 10 1099-MISC)? Even if I have not gotten these funds?

Thank you!

Yes, it is your taxable income whether you received the  money and paid the attorney with it or it was paid directly to the attorney,

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies