turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dorionf

1)where do i include my internet bill for the year 2)where do i Include my cell phone bill and expenses 3)where do i include my toll bills 4)Seems like no clear direction

I need specifics so I don't put the information in the wrong area, Thanks Frank.....
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1)where do i include my internet bill for the year 2)where do i Include my cell phone bill and expenses 3)where do i include my toll bills 4)Seems like no clear direction

Internet and phone are clearly deductible business expenses if you have dedicated internet or phone service for work.  If you have a shared bill (personal and work) then there are two schools of thought.  One argument is that they are never deductible because they are usually flat rate services and your work use does not actually increase your cost, so nothing is deductible. The other school of thought is that you can deduct the percentage of work use, but only if you have detailed records that can prove the amount of work use -- details of call minutes and internet megabytes that you can assign to business or work purposes.  So they are not deductible for most practical purposes.

If you want to deduct these costs then they would go under unreimbursed work expenses on the deductions and credits page.  They go on form 2106 which is an itemized deduction subject to the 2% rule so your actual tax benefit will depend on your other tax situations.

If by tolls you mean toll calls (long distance), then any calls that are work related and that you are billed for specifically can be included as work expenses.  If by tolls you mean toll road fees for business travel, then tolls for your regular commute are never deductible.  Tolls for business transportation and travel are deductible if the travel itself is deductible under the rules in chapter 1 or 4 of publication 463.  They are deductible on top of your actual vehicle expenses using either the standard mileage rate or the actual expense method.  Tolls would be entered in the car and vehicle expense section of the work expenses interview.  After entering your mileage deduction there is an extra question about tolls and parking fees.  They also go on form 2106 and are subject to the same overall limits.

If you are self employed, the same general rules about deductibility apply, but the charges would be listed under vehicle expenses or office expenses on your schedule C.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

W-2 employee or self employed?

Those items are usually not deductible.

Internet and phone are clearly deductible business expenses if you have dedicated internet or phone service for work.  If you have a shared bill (personal and work) then there are two schools of thought.  One argument is that they are never deductible because they are usually flat rate services and your work use does not actually increase your cost, so nothing is deductible. The other school of thought is that you can deduct the percentage of work use, but only if you have detailed records that can prove the amount of work use -- details of call minutes and internet megabytes that you can assign to business or work purposes.  So they are not deductible for most practical purposes.

If you want to deduct these costs then they would go under unreimbursed work expenses on the deductions and credits page.  They go on form 2106 which is an itemized deduction subject to the 2% rule so your actual tax benefit will depend on your other tax situations.

If by tolls you mean toll calls (long distance), then any calls that are work related and that you are billed for specifically can be included as work expenses.  If by tolls you mean toll road fees for business travel, then tolls for your regular commute are never deductible.  Tolls for business transportation and travel are deductible if the travel itself is deductible under the rules in chapter 1 or 4 of publication 463.  They are deductible on top of your actual vehicle expenses using either the standard mileage rate or the actual expense method.  Tolls would be entered in the car and vehicle expense section of the work expenses interview.  After entering your mileage deduction there is an extra question about tolls and parking fees.  They also go on form 2106 and are subject to the same overall limits.

If you are self employed, the same general rules about deductibility apply, but the charges would be listed under vehicle expenses or office expenses on your schedule C.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies