Who can use the TurboTax Stimulus Registration pro... - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Get the latest stimulus news and tax filing updates.
Intuit

Who can use the TurboTax Stimulus Registration product?

The free TurboTax Stimulus Registration product is designed to help you register with the IRS if you’re not required to file a tax return, to get your stimulus money.

The product is only for people who normally don’t need to file a return.

The product doesn’t work if you:

• Already filed your taxes with TurboTax and need to add/update your direct deposit info.
  • Filed your taxes with someone else.

If you were planning on filing your taxes this year, but haven’t yet, please go ahead and use regular TurboTax.

If you aren’t required to file taxes for 2019, but you entered some info in TurboTax, you’ll need to clear your return before you can use Stimulus Registration. The info you clear depends on whether you’ve already paid and/or registered for TurboTax.

For instructions on how to clear your return, see the situation that applies to you below.

I haven’t paid or registered for TurboTax

First, clear all your TurboTax info.

1. Sign out of TurboTax Stimulus Registration.
  2. Sign in to TurboTax and select a topic to continue your return.
  3. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).*
  4. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

Next, restart your stimulus registration.

1. Sign back in to TurboTax Stimulus Registration.
  2. Select I don’t need to file 2019 taxes as your situation.
  3. Follow the prompts to continue registering.

* If you get an error message that TurboTax can’t clear your info, follow the instructions below to clear your income.

I’ve already paid or registered for TurboTax

Once you’ve paid or registered for TurboTax, you won’t be able to clear your return. Instead, you’ll need to zero out all of your income before continuing in TurboTax Stimulus Registration.

First, clear all your TurboTax income information.

1. Sign out of TurboTax Stimulus Registration
  3. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Federal.
  4. Then select Wages & Income.
  5. If you haven’t entered any income yet, you’ll be asked a series of questions. Answer them as though you don’t have any income. When you get to Your income summary, select Wrap up income. Or,
  6. If you’ve already entered income information, select Edit/Add next to the first income type you entered. For example, if you’ve entered a W-2, select Edit/Add next to Job(W-2). On the next screen, you’ll see a summary of all of those forms you’ve entered. Select the trashcan icon next to each of your income forms and select Yes when asked if you want to delete the form. Do this for all income forms you entered.
  7. Once you’re done with steps 5 or 6, sign out of TurboTax.

If you started in TurboTax Stimulus Registration, but then decided to file your taxes using TurboTax Online, your tax data may not carry over. You can fix that a couple ways.

From Stimulus Registration

1. Select Home from the left-side menu and select I’ll file my taxes. This will open TurboTax Online.
  2. Select Take me to my return.
  3. Select Tax Tools from the left-side menu and select Clear & Start Over and select your product. This will clear your current tax return data, and will let you import your prior year information.

From TurboTax Online

1. Select Take me to my return.
  2. Select Tax Tools from the left-side menu and select Clear & Start Over and select your product. This will clear your current tax return data, and will let you import your prior year information.

More information

How do I change my payment date?

Where can I find my direct deposit account information after I've e-filed?

What do I need to know about the coronavirus stimulus package?

How will the stimulus package impact me?

How are my taxes affected by COVID-19?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post