Most of the time, this rejection occurs when you try to claim an exemption for yourself after somebody else, usually a parent, has already claimed you as a dependent.
Less commonly, you can get rejected with IND-516-01 if you entered your Social Security number incorrectly or if somebody filed a fraudulent return using your Social Security number for their fake dependent.
If you got an e-file reject on or after the April 15, 2019 deadline, and you owe taxes, see these instructions instead .
Here's what to do
You'll need to leave the TurboTax app and sign in to TurboTax Online in a browser:
- Sign out of the app by selecting the menu icon in the upper-left corner, then Sign Out.
- Open your browser (either on your device or a computer) and sign in at MyTurboTax.com (use your app login).
- Fix and refile your return in TurboTax Online using these instructions.
- TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-516-01: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption in the return, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return
- What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft
- E-file rejection error IND-515: The primary SSN must not equal the primary SSN in another return