Mortgage interest adjustment amend instructions fo... - Intuit Turbo Real Money Talk

EnglishEN

Pick a language

Intuit

Mortgage interest adjustment amend instructions for TurboTax CD/Download

1. Launch TurboTax. Select and open your 2018 return.
  2. Select File and Save As. Add Amended 2018 return to the file name before you update TurboTax. This preserves your original return.
  3. Select Online and Check for Updates. Allow TurboTax to update if necessary.
  4. Go to the Federal Taxes tab (if using the Home and Business version, go to Personal Tab) and select Other Tax Situations.
  5. Under Other Tax Forms select Start next to Amend a return.
  6. Select Continue and select both:
    • Yes, I’ve already filed my return
    • I was contacted by TurboTax and told I may need to amend for some other reason.
  7. Select Continue and I want to amend both my federal and state returns and Continue again.
  8.  Scroll down to I need to change (amend) my return for a different reason and select Update next to Deductions and Credits.
  9. Under Your Home select Update next to Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance.
  10. On the Home loan deduction summary screen select Done
  11. On the Do any of these situations apply to you? screen, select either Yes or No, then select Continue.
    • Note: If no, you don't need to amend your return and can stop here.
  12. On the Enter your adjusted mortgage interest and points screen enter your adjusted amount of mortgage interest. (Note: The original mortgage amount amounts will be listed. If you need help with the calculation of your Adjusted Amount, select Help me figure this out.) Select Continue.
  13. Scroll down and select Done with Deductions.
  14. On the Do you need to change anything else? screen select State Taxes from the top menu to amend your state return.
  15. Select Continue and Edit next to your state return.
  16. Select Continue, and then Yes, let’s amend and get it done, and Continue again.
  17. Continue answering questions and verify your original state refund or balance due.
  18. Each state amend is different, so follow the instructions. If you're asked to entered reasons for amending your state return, enter Amending Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, to report the correct deductible home mortgage interest.
  19. On the Yes, I’ve entered everything and let’s review screen select Continue.
  20. Continue answering questions until you are asked to enter the Explanation of Changes, enter Amending Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, to report the correct deductible home mortgage interest, then select Continue.
  21. You’re ready to print and file your returns. On the You’re Done! Print and Mail Your Returns screen, select Print Return and Save Return. Follow the TurboTax Amended Return Filing Instructions for your federal and/or state amended returns.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in