TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Is the tax deadline delayed? What to know about the IRS extension

SOLVEDby TurboTax1931Updated July 27, 2021

The federal tax filing deadline has been extended to May 17, 2021.

The IRS encourages taxpayers to file their returns now to get their refund as soon as possible. They expect to continue to process refunds as normal, typically issuing them within 21 days from acceptance (with e-file and direct deposit).

• Do I need to file an extension to file past April 15? No, you do not need to take any action. The May 17 extension applies to all taxpayers automatically.
  • Will the extension of the tax deadline delay my tax refund? No, the IRS expects to continue to process refunds as normal.
  • What about 2021 quarterly estimated tax payments? First-quarter estimated tax installments are still due April 15, 2021.
  • Has the business tax filing deadline changed? No. The deadline to file an S Corporation or Partnership tax return is still March 15, 2021, and the deadline to file a calendar-year corporation or calendar-year estates/trusts return is still April 15, 2021.
  • What do I do if I want to schedule my payment for after April 15? If you haven't filed yet, you can choose your payment date and method in Step 2 of the File section. If you've already filed, you can’t change your payment date in TurboTax after your return has been accepted, but you can cancel it and make other payment arrangements with the IRS. Federal tax direct debit payments can be canceled up to 2 business days prior to the debit date. To cancel, call the U.S. Treasury Financial Agent at 888-353-4537. Then, to schedule a new payment, go to the IRS Direct Pay site.
  • What do I do if I already filed my taxes and scheduled my payment for April 15? We are waiting for guidance from the IRS on how to solve this.
  • What if I need more time past the May 17 deadline to pay? If you need additional time, beyond May 17, you’’ll need to file an extension. An extension will give you until October 15, 2021 to file your taxes, but you will still need to pay any taxes owed by May 17. Payments after May 17 will be subject to penalties and interest.
  • Will the deadline for my state taxes also be extended? Almost all states have extended deadlines to file and pay. Visit this page for more info.

We’ve got you covered

TurboTax is ready to help them file now up until the extended May 17 deadline. If you have any questions along the way, our team of credentialed TurboTax Live tax experts or CPAs are available on demand to help you out.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post