Here, we define "child" as a dependent under the age of 19 (24 if a full-time student) as of December 31, 2018.
- If your child's only income is unearned and doesn't exceed $1,050, it doesn't need to be reported.
- If your child's unearned income is $10,500 or more, he or she will need to file their own return.
Your child will also need to file if their unearned income is between $1,050 and $10,500, but in certain situations this income can be included on your return. Use TurboTax to help you figure out how to best report this income:
- Open or continue your return if you don't already have it open.
- In the search box, search for child income and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Answer Yes to both Any Child's Income? and Child Required to File?
- Select Continue on the next screen, Reporting Your Child's Income.
We'll walk you through a series of questions to determine if the income can be included on your return, or if your child will need to file their own return.